[mythtv-users] VDPAU video can't initialize...

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Wed Nov 4 05:46:45 UTC 2009

On Nov 3, 2009, at 2:09 PM, Gavin Peters wrote:

> I have an ASRock ION 330, and so I need VDPAU for a lot of my viewing.
> Sometimes, VDPAU doesn't initialize; restarting mythfrontend and
> trying again
> seems to work to solve this.
>
> But does anyone know how to avoid it?  Sometimes it seems latency
> based; if I leave
> Myth for a long time so it's likely to be all swapped out, it seems
> more likely to
> not initialize the video...  Mostly though it just seems random.

I was getting permission denied when trying to access the /dev/
nvidiactl device with the VDPAU profile. I added the user that was
running mythtv to the audio group in Ubuntu to resolve it. If you can
provide the frontend logs for the problem I'll help take a look. Just
post them to the list.

FWIW, I have the same box now now working fine with VDPAU 1080i over
HDMI and audio over HDMI. Running 0.21-fixes from JYA on 9.04 at the
moment.

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1