[mythtv-users] Sound issues still...

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Wed Nov 4 05:34:56 UTC 2009

On Nov 3, 2009, at 8:55 PM, A JM wrote:

> I'm going to finally try and tackle the sound issue with my box
> currently he volume is way to low.
>
> I ran 'aplay -L' and this was the result:
>
> front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer
> speakers
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia
>     HDMI Audio Output
> null
>

> The board I'm using is an Zotac 8300 with HDMI, originally I wasn't
> able to get the HDMI sound working but was curious if anyone had any
> successes with this board or had some suggestions.

I have HDMI sound working for Live TV, Recorded TV, and DVD playback
now. My box is the ASRock 330 ION which should be similar to the Zotac
8300 from what I can see.

For live tv viewing I had to enable the option Settings -> TV Settings
-> Playback -> General Playback -> Extra audio buffering. If I didn't
I would see "WriteAudio: buffer underrun" logged with sound breakups
when watching Live TV. The other Settings -> General -> Sound config I
used was:

Audio output device: ALSA:default
Passthrough output device: Default
Max Audio Channels: Stereo
Upmix: Passive
AC3 audio upmixer - unchecked
Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough - unchecked
Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough - unchecked
Agressive Sound card Buffering - unchecked
Use internal volume controls - unchecked

And my /etc/asound.conf looks like this:

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "hdmi"
}

I'm running JYA's stable 0.21-fixes with Ubuntu 9.04 at the moment.

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1