[mythtv-users] Getting local-access stations into Schedules Direct

Robert Eden rmeden at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 05:01:20 UTC 2009

On 11/3/2009 7:38 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

> [If stations are buying Tribune feeds, then last-minute changes might
> blindside them internally;
Does the station care about last-minute changes?  What does the ATSC
guide look like when things like a football game goes long?
> I guess this means I won't waste my time trying to find tools to
> convert from the stations' formats into XML (assuming they're amenable
> in the first place) and will either tell their people where to find
> the format documentation, or I'll write the tools myself, depending on
> whether they want to cope in-house or draft me to do the work...

I'd be shocked if they'll spend the resources to output XMLTV.   I'd
consider yourself lucky if they give you a nice CSV

> [But my impression was also that Tribune retyped the program
> descriptions, at least, even if they would prefer to have the rest of
> the data machine-transferrable, so that Tribune owned the copyright to
> the feed as a "creative work".  Is this incorrect?]

Not a bad angle.. plausible.  If the know they're going to retype it
anyway, they probably don't care about getting it printed/faxed.
> (Some stations provide enormously-detailed program information (e.g.
> Sundance) that I wish could soemhow be transferred down into the stuff
> that SD provides, but I imagine they either don't want to bundle it in
Tribune has *lots* of variations on their products.   We may be able to
get it, but I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. (most people
probably wouldn't want to see it).  IIRC there is a place in the Data
Direct DTD for it.

Robert