[mythtv-users] VDPAU bug reports against 0.21-fixes (JYA pkgs)

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Wed Nov 4 00:31:58 UTC 2009

On Nov 3, 2009, at 7:07 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> 2009/11/4 Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc>:
>> I installed a fresh Ubuntu 9.04 system and added JYAs repos for
>> Jaunty. The
>> system is a front end only running on a ASRock 330 ION. Nvida
>> 190.42 with
>> VDPAU from the JYA repo.  I'm seeing fairly regular mythtv seg
>> faults that I
>> don't get on my combo BE/FE without VDPAU. Of course, it could be
>> host of
>> other things too.
>
> I'm yet to see a single report of a crash due to the VDPAU backport on
> 0.21-fixes...
>
> The most common crashes I've seen are related to OpenGL and the nvidia
> GL libraries crashing ; well outside mythtv responsibilities.

Hmm, I did install nvidia-glx and other things... It's possible I did
not do right during the config.

> run it in gdb, and see in what libraries it crashed ; even if not
> compiled with debugging option on, it will tell you which library
> cause the crash...
>
> That you don't see it on your other machine without the VDPAU backport
> is pretty much irrelevant, because as you say, it's not the same
> machine

Exactly what I need to do next. But not having done a code dive I
wasn't sure what I would be getting into. The other thing I'm seeing
is corrupted areas of video specifically when EIA-608 closed captions
are enabled (not subtitles). I don't have a 0.22 backend so I'm not
sure if the problem is there as well.

>> Are bug reports against VDPAU and 0.21 still welcome and being
>> actively
>> researched or is all the work on VDPAU and 0.22?
>
> Why would anyone want to provide support on a version that is now 2
> years old and 0.22 is actively maintained ?
>
> time to move on

Again, my thoughts as well. This is a new build out on the ASRock 330
ION platform. Unfortunately, my "in production" backend is still 0.21-
fixes. However, the only way the ASRock will be useful is as a 0.22 +
VDPAU frontend. :) You could say that I'm dedicated to 0.22 by the
fact I went out and purchased hardware to specifically take advantage
of it before it has even hit GA status.

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1