[mythtv-users] Movie Times Plugin outside North America

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 23:43:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You may not forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to
>>> disguise the origin of any message or transmittal you send to Apple on or
>>> through the Site or any service offered on or through the Site. You may not
>>> pretend that you are, or that you represent, someone else, or impersonate
>>> any other individual or entity.
>>> -----
>>>
>>> And note that Apple /has/ recently changed their trailers page such that
>>> they only allow certain applications (such as Apple QuickTime) to download
>>> the trailers. Therefore, the "You may not forge headers or otherwise
>>> manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any message or
>>> transmittal," portion is especially relevant.
>>>

>> I take it you are saying then that (eg) the xbmc apple trailers plugin
>> violates apple's terms?
>>

> There is no linux version of Quicktime.  Unless XBMC has been offered
> special dispensation by Apple to download from their trailer site, there
> is no authorized access to Apple trailers from within linux.

Given that the latest tweak I saw on the xbmc forums seemed to involve
setting a user-agent, you are probably right!

Shame really, a link from the 'local screenings' page directly to a
trailer would be nice functionality!

Getting really OT now, but the contents of
http://www.apple.com/trailers/home/xml/current.xml seems to differ to
http://images.apple.com/trailers/home/rss/newtrailers.rss