[mythtv-users] Turning off guide genre text

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 3 02:45:33 UTC 2009

Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Fri, October 16, 2009 7:27 am, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 10/15/2009 09:50 AM, Peter Lord wrote:
>>> I've noticed with recent 0.22-trunk/0.22-fixes builds that its not
>>> possible to
>>> disable the text genre display.
>> This is now controlled by the theme.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythUI_Theme_Development#The_guidegrid_widget
>> , specifically <showcategories> .
>>
>>>   With it turned off or on, I always get the
>>> genre displayed.

After setting it to <showcategories<no</showcategories>, try stepping
through the 'Setup' -> Appearance pages. At the end of these particular
pages, the theme is re-loaded (and you are bounced back to the Main
Screen and in your new or old theme. May be you forgot to try that?

>>> Is this a bug ?
>> The continued existence of the setting is.  :)  Thanks for finding it.
>> I'll remove it.

Please do NOT remove this setting.
Leaving it IN, does no damage.
Removing it forces a particular outcome, which the existance of the
setting in prior versions, suggests is wanted, if not necessary in some
circumstances, especially where screen space is at a premium. The
ability to set the number of channels and number of time slote has
already been removed. Minimalism is nice, but not to the point of
causing problems.

Personally I think it should be *returned* to the Appearance Setup
screens. Although I don't have any problem with grep'ing for, and
editing a few xml files (not knowing exactly which file to edit), there
are lots of users who do not with to or are unable to do so.

And I agree that the screens are far too 'busy' with the genre
displayed. I don't display genre colors or channel icons in order to
keep the screen as 'quiet' as possible.

> So is there any way of disabling the genre text other than editing the
> theme. I find that on a CRT display the addition of the genre text makes
> the EPG screen "too busy" and prefer the values to be disabled.

Agreed.

Geoff