[mythtv-users] Small front end???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 2 22:42:08 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 15:28:04 A JM wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com> wrote:
> > A JM wrote:
> >> Just cam across this on Engadget... thought peeps might be interested.
> >>

> >> http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/xbmc-arm-port-teased-will-manage-hd-p
> >>layback-from-pocket-sized/
> >
> > Looks like it completely misses the mark on the audio front. Who wants HD
> > with only analog Stereo output?
> > It has no digital audio capabilities. Its HDMI port is video only. It
> > does not really align with a HTPC purpose, but might be neat for handheld
> > video games or something.

> I'd also be good with HDMI and analog... not that digital wouldn't also be
> nice.
>
> I'm also very skeptical that something this small will be able to deliver
> and will believe it when I see it. I just can't image that it will be able
> to do 1920x1080... I like the direction things are going though...

Something that small doing 1920x1080 is not surprising, many devices using a
Sigma chip are about that size.

As long as it's using hardware decoding, small sizer and low power
requirements make sense, the main reason I don't like software decoding.

VDPAU is partial hardware decoding, but not totally, the drivers seem to be
doing a fair amount of the work.

But for the price point being mentioned, I'll certainly give something like
that a go.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org