[mythtv-users] 24fps Movies and new 120Hz LCD TV

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 00:56:39 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/10/31 James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com>:
>
> > and left Rate and Aspect alone.  I have not done any overrides for
> specific
> > video sizes.  However, I don't see the area where JYA says to input the
> > location of a text file w/ refresh rates in it.  Could this be because my
> > backend is not running JYA's repo?  Thanks for the assistance!
>
> I don't mention it because it's not necessary anymore.
> MythTV can decode the refresh rates offered by the nvidia card and
> will display them as their real value.
> You can force the refresh rate you want by selecting the one you want
> in the list available. Or leave to Any to let mythtv select the one
> you want.
> To check if mythtv will get it allright, go trhough the list of rates
> available in mythtv and see if they are all there
>
> BTW, a 120Hz LCD Tv isn't really 120Hz, you can't supply them a 120Hz
> signal... Just another dumb marketing term to state that the TV is
> doing video compensation to improve motion and smoothness...

JYA,

Thanks for the update.  I have cycled through the ANY field and there are
other rates listed, so I guess that means it's working.

I read a lot of posts on LCD TVs before I bought mine.  I know they don't do
120Hz input (totally agree about the "Marketing Double Talk"), but I got
this one because it can take 24Hz (or 23.971Hz) input.  I was looking for
something that would work well with BluRay.  I'm pretty happy with the setup
too.  PS3 BluRay looks fantastic.  Can't wait to try some other video and
see what it looks like.  Thanks!