[mythtv-users] Quick opinions

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat May 30 17:30:01 UTC 2009

>> > So the beefier 95w one uses less energy for a given amount of work
>> >
>> How did you come to that conclusion?
>
> If it ran twice as fast at twice the power it would only run half as
> long so use the same energy (energy = power * time). But it runs more
> than twice as fast so would run less than half as long so less energy.

I think Raymond's point is that this conclusion although logical is
based on the false assumption that the CPU uses no energy when it
isn't being utilized and that it uses the full power when it is. In
reality the idle power would matter and the actual power under load
would matter. Your point may very well be true, (I would say it is
probably true), it isn't necessarily true based only on the max
dissipated power number that AMD provides. Probably the larger point
is that it isn't as simple as just looking at the power rating, and
that in general newer processors based on smaller process sizes will
be more efficient.