[mythtv-users] Nvidia mode lines

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sat May 30 15:55:14 UTC 2009

Yan Seiner wrote:
> How do I go about getting the current modeline with the nvidia binary
> blob?  I need to tweak the modeline a bit but I'd like to start with the
> modeline the TV reports back to the driver.
>
> It used to report it in the xorg log file but no more.

I've heard that when using tv-out, the nVidia drivers ignore all
user-supplied modelines, instead selecting from a small set of modelines
hard-coded into the driver.  I haven't verified this, but I can say that
I was unable to change anything at all with xvidtune.  It issued
hate-mail telling me that it was unable to do what I asked.  That's even
tweaking the start time to shift the screen 1 pixel left or right.

I would like to use modelines to solve my nVidia overscan problems.  I'm
currently using the MythTV screen setup wizard, but that leaves me in a
situation of resolution-matching between nearly-matched resolutions,
which leaves a little line-blur on things.

Dale