[mythtv-users] Quick opinions

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Sat May 30 02:15:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Matthew Keefe
<learningtehlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've decided that for the performance I'm getting, the rig that I'm working
> on isn't cutting it.  So, I'm going to sell all the parts I won't be able to
> reuse and build a new machine from scratch.  Unless someone hates this mobo,
> I'm going to go with an Asus M4N82.  The M3N78-EM is also a nice board, and
> if dollars start to get pinched I may go with that one instead.
>
> My question is between two processors, both AMD:  the Athlon 64 X2 5050e 2.6
> GHz 45w Brisbane or the Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz 95w Kuma.  Both are the
> same price on Newegg.  Brisbane uses half the wattage, but the Kuma is a
> newer core.
>
> So, thoughts on the subject?  I'm looking for subjective reasons here, based
> on your Myth experience to date.  Is it better to get the newer core or the
> lower power?  This is for a combined BE/FE recording HD (hopefully) from
> cable and perhaps OTA.  Reasons for your choice welcome :)
>
> Thanks guys!

I have the M3N78-EM with the x2 5050e.

First things first, the M3N78-EM is nice, but I had some troubles with
audio.  Mainly the digital audio output on the HDMI connector is
supported and should work with only minor tweaking.  The board also
has an optical SPDIF output.  This output is as far as I can tell NOT
supporter under linux.  For me this was a problem, my receiver does
not support HDMI audio, so it has to be brought in on a separate
(SPDIF) input.  I ended up getting a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage
Micro (USB SPDIF output) for an extra $30 to make my setup work.  HDMI
video was no problem to get working.

The x2 5050e is in my opinion completely sufficient for a dedicated
myth box.  CPU load playing back HD doesn't even use all of 1
processor.  I haven't looked at the numbers recently (if you want
exact ones I could...) but I seem to remember 50-60% cpu load while
playing HD.  So, I think there is plenty of power to comm flag or
transcode at the same time.  (disclaimer: I almost never transcode and
usually watch days after something is recording so I don't need
superfast comm flagging).

The whole box with 1GB ram and a big 5400 rpm drive uses just under 50
watts when idle (with an 80+% efficient PSU).  For comparison my older
box with a 2.2(?) ghz amd 64 and an old PSU runs at 90-100 watts idle.
 If you run your box a lot the amount saved on your electric bill will
be significant.

Alan