[mythtv-users] Myth experiences with Zotac ION + ATOM mobo

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Fri May 29 23:07:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> > > Err, buy the fanless single core model and add a separate wifi card ?
> Or
> > > USB dongle ? Or (at the cost of another box and PSU), an external
> > > ethernet-wifi adapter (needs no drivers on the machine other than the
> > > onboard ethernet) ?
> >
> > I'd be looking to keep a minimal footprint, not sure if that can be
> > done with USB? Any idea if you can get a mini PCI wifi card that works
> > well on linux?
>
> Dang. I have several I got cheap, but going back to the vendor's site all I
> can find now are PCIe (Mini PCI Express) cards. I didn't even know they
> made
> those.
>
> --
> beww
> beww at beww.org

Watch out: check the specs carefully.  Mini PCI cards have been largely
obsolete for a while.  The confusingly named successors are called either
"mini PCIe" or "mini PCI Express".  The Zotac ION is mini PCI Express:
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx-b-e-atom-n230-1-6ghz-mini-itx-intel-motherboard.html

Here's an example showing the different connectors for:
Mini PCI Express (aka mini PCIe):
http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!BS59H,!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKk!EjlLm(M-TBKFk7zh,sg~~_1.JPG

Mini PCI (not express):
http://www.duringshanghai.net/ebay%202009/Ebay%20Pic/Atheros%205416/Atheros541602.JPG

The latter are actually really hard to find while the former are plentiful
(on ebay).

Matt