[mythtv-users] removable storage questions

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri May 29 13:55:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009, I wrote:

> I've implemented a solution posed in this thread, details of which were
> clarified by Mike. I've now tested it and it seems to work as advertised. I'm
> largely satisfied with the results. So I'll briefly describe in this final

I actually have a final query regarding the solution I've outlined and
implemented in this thread--a question about the simplest way to go about
and identifying recordings to be moved over to the long-term storage
drives. I will first describe the process I currently use, which is a bit
unwieldy. Then I'll ask if there is a simpler way to go about identifying
recordings and moving them over to long-term storage.

The recordings made by Mythtv are assigned names that consist in a series
of numbers followed by a file identifier extension. Just looking at the
file name, which consists in part in a date identifier, one cannot
determine--unless one has memorized all or parts of the weekly television
schedule--which file contains what recording. So, to determine which
recordings I want to move over to storage, I've been looking through the
recordings menu, identifying a target recording by title, then looking at
program details (hit "i" on the keyboard, then "recording options," then
"program details"), which gives me an actual file name. I then switch over
to a VT and fire up my favorite file manager (mc), find and move the
file over to the long-term storage drive. That's a rather clunky and
unwieldy process, so I'm just wondering whether there isn't a less
cumbersome way to identify and move the recordings.

Bearing in mind that the target storage directory is not always attached
to the system, what might be some simpler ways to identify, then move,
recordings over to the long-term storage drive?

Thanks,
James