[mythtv-users] Myth/HDHR impressions & issues

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:48:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 07:30 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    Thanks to scte65scan
>
> I still haven't been able to make this work. I always get:
>
> # /local/bin/scte65scan -H FFFFFFFF,0
> PID 0x1ffc timeout
>
> The same thing happens if I substitute the actual ID for FFFFFFFF.

As Robert said - it may not work in your area.

The command above isn't, I think, technically correct as it doesn't
include the cable frequency file. Maybe you just drpped that out?

Do you have a DTA that reports a VCT_ID? If you did and it was working
there is a better chance that this program would work for you. Without
that it's hard to know.

> I got my HDHR channels working the old fashioned way: watching each
> channel until I knew what it was, getting the xmltvid from Schedules
> Direct, and manually putting it in. Took forever, but it was a one-time
> hassle. That is, one-time until Comcast decides to move all the
> currently-analog channels in my area to digital, rendering my PVR-500
> useless and requiring heavier use of the HDHR. If I have to enter all of
> the current analog channels the old fashioned way, I will need to
> dedicate an entire weekend to getting it done, so I would like to get
> scte65scan working.
>
>> 1) Audio/video sync is not good. It's off enough (.2 to .5 seconds) to
>> be frustrating when you watch closely.
>
> Have you tried turning on the "extra audio buffering" setting? It's the
> first screen under Settings -> TV Settings -> Playback.
>
> If that doesn't work, you can try "Use video as timebase" too but I've
> never had that do anything for me but totally mess things up.

I'll look into these. Thanks.

>> 2) Commercial flagging is really bad.
>
> I haven't noticed it go to commercial early, but then I don't ever do
> automatic cutting of commercials. I've never found flagging to be 100%
> accurate even for SD shows. With HD shows I frequently have to skip
> forward more than once to get past all the commercials, and every once
> in a while it misses the start of the show and I have to skip back and
> resort to fast forward to find the end of the break. I have never found
> a solution for this, but I've gotten used to it working this way so I'm
> pretty fast with the buttons, and it's still way better than the crappy
> Comcast DVR that has no commercial skipping capability at all.

Compared to the PVR-150/250 data where commercial flagging has always
done a good job for me on the HDHR, for both SD and my wife tells me
for HD, it's doing a comparatively bad job. Actually, I wouldn't know
about it going to commercials early if it wasn't for the windows
player which has a little red light that turns on when it's in
commercials. None of this is auto-skipping, it's just what I notice
using the platform.

>> 3) It seems that sometimes there is something in the data stream that
>> causes the Windows-based MythTV Player to crash completely.
>
> Can't say anything about that since I don't use Winblows.

I understand. I use windows in my work at home and Linux in the evenings.

Thanks,
Mark