[mythtv-users] High X CPU usage with 8400GS

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:36:53 UTC 2009

I bought an 8400GS graphics card
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187042) to
try out VDPAU.  The old card was a 7200 series.  With the 8400GS, the
X process is taking up nearly 100% CPU utilization during myth
playback, with visible tearing in the middle of the screen.  This
happens even during SD playback.  The 7200 uses only 30-40% CPU during
similar playback.  This is with the 180.51 drivers, and without VDPAU.
 Running nvidia-settings, and examining the X logs, shows that the
nvidia driver is being used.

One issue is that this is a PCI card, not PCI express.  (I meant to
experiment using an old PCI-only computer, but changed my mind and
used the main system instead.)

Is there anything I can do to bring the CPU load back down?  Is this
possibly a PCI issue?  Will this card be suitable for VDPAU?

Jim