[mythtv-users] removable storage questions

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:49:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> IMHO, you'd be better off not using a storage group that points to an
> occasionally-present drive. If you do that, the backend will try to record
> new programs in the directory, even if there's nothing mounted there.
>
> Instead, create the mount point as you normally would, move the items over
> to it, and create symlinks from the old location (in the existing storage
> directory) over to the new place. That way, the worst thing that will happen
> to your users is that they get an error when they try to play a missing
> program. You might put all of the items that are on inactive disks into a
> recording group of their own.

I use storage groups and power down my drives individually. This works
fine except if you hit a file that is on a drive that is offline the
preview generation hangs the UI for a few seconds. What I do is use
autofs and have a video folder inside the mount as the storage group
so if the drive is offline mythtv will not try to write to the drive
because the video folder will not exist. I guess autofs would have not
let myth get to the mount anyways but this is a carryover for the 2
years I used storage groups before I found autofs.

John