[mythtv-users] xbmc mythbox thoughts

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue May 26 19:25:25 UTC 2009

> I didn't properly communicate the full details. I was/am running XBMC on
> my xbox. I love it but I had a few issues with it related to Myth. XBMC
> on my xbox does everything I need it to do and I am very happy with it.
> I have fallen into "It's not broke so don't fix it" mentality with it
> and I have not kept up with the community (even though I use it a lot I
> have not updated it in a /LONG/ time). Another group informed me that
> XBMC was available for PC's now and several of my complaints had been
> addressed in the latest version. So I am now toying with the 9.04
> release on a spare PC.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that I was going to run 9.04 on the xbox. ;-D

Just to clarify you can run 9.04 on your xbox. I do and it is great.
The T3CH builds are generally regarded as the best place to get XBMC
for the xbox (http://t3ch.yi.se/). I only had to download and FTP
once. T3CH includes and automatic update script so I can update
directly from the xbox when I feel the need. It is only the MythBox
plugin that doesn't run on the xbox. I don't use the MythBox plugin
anyways. There is some support for mythtv natively built into XBMC
over the last year or so at least. You just add a video source like:
myth://username:password@backend.ip.address. The only thing I miss is
automatic commercial skip. I do almost everything else from mythweb
anyway. I don't use the xbox much so this is totally sufficient for
me. There are improvements in using 9.04 with the native mythtv
support. Mainly they have fixed it so that mythtv recordings use
mplayer by default rather than having to select it manually for each
recording.