[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup crashes with segmentation fault or Illegal Instruction

Jarom McDonald jlmcdonald at gmail.com
Sun May 24 04:27:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> > On 05/23/2009 06:01 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >>
> >> On my new server I got past the mysql access problems and ONE time it
> >> allowed me to run mythtv-setup. However now am seeing both
> >> mythtv-setup and mythfrontend crash with a segmentation fault message,
> >> and sometimes a message that just says 'Illegal Instruction'. I've
> >> done simple things like restarting daemons and rebooting, etc. but
> >> nothing so far has solved it.
> >
> > Illegal instruction generally means the program was compiled for a
> similar,
> > but not quite right, architecture--for example, compiled for i686 but
> > executed on an i486 (sorry, I can't give PowerPC equivalents because I
> don't
> > know the family).  Sounds like a compile issue.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Yeah, that was my thought also. Since this little Gentoo brick hadn't
> been updated in 6 months there was a gcc upgrade so I took the
> opportunity to do an emerge -e world and start rebuilding the complete
> machine. I figure it should be close to done when I get up tomrrow
> morning or hopefully by noon. Maybe that will help.
>
> More interesting came from some Googling while this got started. Seems
> this is a very common problem and at least some people fixed it by
> downgrading mesa from 7.3 to 7.2, so I'l likely try that tomorrow if
> this rebuild doesn't fix it. The problem I had there was emerge
> started complaining about revisions and that might mean downgrading
> all of X or something. (It's a mistake that mythtv-setup is a GUI. It
> would be nicer if it was a small script that ran in a console window
> for pure server apps.)
>
> I'm not a developer type so I'm reticent to do it but if it's still
> broken I'll investigate how to get a backtrace and if successful then
> I'll try and get that to the Myth devs. This problem has been going on
> one way or another for 4-5 years it seems. I find similar messages
> going back to 2004/2005.
>
> Don't worry about not understanding PowerPC. It seems very few do
> anymore. I was shocked when I looked at the Gentoo PPC-users list
> archives and found that other than me there had only been 2 or 3 other
> people ask questions since I built this thing 6 months ago! The
> architecture is truly dead, but I'm hopeful that this little box has
> enough horse power to control a couple of HDHR's and writing data to 1
> or 2 external 1394 drives. It might just be useful, if I can ever get
> it to work!
>
> Again, thanks for the help.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I don't think it's related to the PPC archive, as I've been experiencing the
same thing on my Gentoo x86 box. It started happening about April, following
an xorg-server upgrade. I was forced to completely remove everything having
do to with X and then re-emerge with a downgraded version.

Since you have another server, you could always set up X11-forwarding and
run mythtv-setup remotely. Once you get it configured, hopefully most of the
regular maintenance can be done through mythweb.

Jarom