[mythtv-users] Cannot get the backend to run

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri May 22 19:58:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Nick Morrott
<knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/05/2009, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Now, I've run the commands to set priviledges a couple of times, but
>>  apparently I haven't done it right, or I'm missing some other setup
>>  thing.
>
> What were the GRANT commands you used to provide access by IP for the
> machine(s) in question? Did they resemble
>
> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"192.168.1.%" identified
> by "password";
> mysql> flush privileges;
>

> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Morrott

Yes Nick, those are the commands. I think first I did one of the less
open ones but when it didn't work I issued the ones above.

Mainly I was using these pages:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/MythTV
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html

The commands were just copied from the myth.org page.

I hope it is clear that this is a COMPLETELY new server. There are no
recordings and I can do ANYTHING to get it working, including throwing
away ALL mysql stuff and starting over from scratch. It's not an
issue.

I also modified /etc/mysql/my.cnf changing the bind address:

# security:
# using "localhost" in connects uses sockets by default
# skip-networking
bind-address                            = 192.168.1.61
port                                    = 3306

I'm not sure about that extra port=3306 though.

If it matters, there is another working Myth backend on the network at
192.168.1.59. This new machine is at 192.168.1.61.

Thanks,
Mark