[mythtv-users] xbmc mythbox thoughts

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri May 22 04:13:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I have not seen this discussed and was wondering what the general consensus is.
>
> The googlecode mythbox adds the mythtv PVR type frontend features to
> XBMC. I have only played with XBMC a little bit (read once for 20
> minutes), but from what I saw, the media library capabilities of xbmc
> look pretty flash. The interface also seems quite slick.
>
> I don't have trunk installed to play with but mythbox is supposed to
> work with this as well.
>
> So I pose the question, what if mythtv development concentrate on the
> core PVR functionality and divert effort on the frontend to mythbox?
> Would this be a good or bad thing?
>
> Phil

I am enjoying xbmc for the metadata features (including good
differentiation between movies and tv programmes, enabling good
metatdata for both, from different sources) and the slick interface.

I don't enjoy the fact that every box in the house has a separate
metadata database, rather than a central DB like mythtv.

The mythbox UI is not as flash as the rest of xbmc, but can no doubt
be improved. It presents an acceptable frontend, especially if
combined with mythweb.

I like vdpau incorporation in XBMC.

The mythtv UI will be vastly improved in 0.22, which takes out one
differentiation.

I like XBMC's use of python which makes a vast number of plugins etc
to be added easily.

All in all a good adjunct to mythtv, but in two minds about its long
term adoption.

2c