[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware purchase question for eventual HD Mythtv system

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 21 23:17:27 UTC 2009

On Thursday 21 May 2009 17:07:32 Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Thermal compound may or may not be included with the CPU, but you will
> > need some to mount the heatsink to the CPU. If it comes with a "pad" use
> > good quality (silver bearing) compound instead, that CPU will run pretty
> > hot.
>
> In the last year or so AMDs that I've purchased had the thermal
> compound on the CPU itself.

That would be good, because most people tend to use too much. You only need
enough to fill the small voids caused by imperfect machining of the surfaces.
Even the best compound doesn't conduct heat as well as good metal-to-metal
contact.

I bought a couple of Opterons recently that were bare metal, but they'd been
in stock for a while.

--
beww
beww at beww.org