[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware purchase question for eventual HD Mythtv system

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Thu May 21 22:55:23 UTC 2009

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Mark Boyum <mark at boyum.us> wrote:
> > Our Myth system died a sudden death earlier this week. Yet another
> > motherboard died with bad caps.
>
> > So I am looking at
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.194454
> > to purchase as a low end desktop for now. Eventually it will likely
> > become a MythTV frontend. It has been 12 or so years since I last
> > built a PC. Is there anything else that would need to be purchased in
> > addition to that combo deal? Specifically, does the AMD retail CPU
> > box include a cooler?

Caveat: The retail-boxed "Black" series AMD duo core I bought last year did NOT have a cooler. It wasn't clear from the Newegg site, but I assumed it would because the "White" box unit I'd bought a few months before did. I had to walk to the friendly neighborhood computer shoppe to buy a fan.

I think the black line units are targeted at heavy duty overclockers who would presumably toss the included fan and heatsink in favor of a liquid-cooled one with flashy neon bits and superconducting magnetic bearings.