[mythtv-users] Absolute newbie stumped

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu May 21 17:00:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Tom <listmail at athenet.net> wrote:

> I've been reading the archives at Gossamer and poking all over the web for
> enough info to just get started with MythTV. I've been at this for two
> months. All I know so far is that that I think I want two ATSC tuner cards
> and I'm thinking of starting with MythDora, since I have some passing
> familiarity with FC.
>
> ..I go back & forth on the subject of front-end machine in the same box as
> the back-end, or two separate machines.
>
> So could someone point me at a recent list of cards known to perform well
> with Myth, with reasonably low extra hacking effort required?

I can only tell you what I've done.  I've been running Myth for a few years
now, but had to re-learn input cards a year ago when I moved from Europe to
the US.

1. I've got one Hauppage 1600.  It has an analogue and a digital tuner.
With a recent kernel works out the box.  I also have a HDHR which works
great.

2. I really like having a separate back-end.  One big, noisy server with
lots of hard drives that's on 24x7 coupled with quiet small cheap frontends
(I've got a mixture of an ATOM 300/8400GS running VDPAU, a mac mini, and
some other ones).  Makes the design choices easier.

3. I use Fedora 10 on my backend running a bog-standard -fixes that I
compiled myself.  My frontends run Ubuntu with a mixture of self-compiled
-fixes branches and one running the unofficial, unsupported VDPAU backport.
I started with a all-in-one (Knoppmyth), and have tried mythbuntu - but
prefer starting with a bog-standard distribution and adding myth -
especially if you want to run other things on it as well (which you may as
well since you've got a machine running 7x24 now!).  My backend has been
running Fedora now for a few years - and I've not found the progression from
FC4 - F10 painful.  I can see the logic for CentOS - but frankly I'd rather
upgrade every 6 - 12 months, than fight with a kernel that doesn't support
my tuner card out the box.