[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 and seca3 encryption on DVB-S

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 21 12:50:42 UTC 2009

David Lister wrote:

>Take your DMCA and GTFO.
>
>I'd rather buy crap like DM or IPBox and forget about MythTV, at least
>it would be an honest DVB setup. There's nothing illegal about using
>SoftCAM's where I come from, even my provider knows. Why the fuck would
>any of you even want to deprive me of my natural right to free speech
>and exercising it with other truly free people?

Please remember that a lot of the developers are in the US, and the
list servers are in the US. It might be perfectly legal for you, but
even assisting you to legally break encryption is a criminal offense
in the US. We'd all like to say "stuff the DMCA", it's a bad law that
criminalises several explicitly legal things - it it IS the law (in
the US, and now effectively in the UK under a different name) and
people coming under US jurisdiction have to bear it in mind.

THAT is why the list owner has requested that such topics be
off-limits on this list. The risk to the whole project is too great -
just one thread assisting you to legally view the programs you are
after would be enough to have the list servers seized, and the people
who run it arrested.

You now it's crap, I know it's crap, I think most people know it's
crap - but that's the law.

--
Simon Hobson