[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 21 02:00:13 UTC 2009

On 21/05/2009, Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 00:14 +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>  > # Creates an RRD database to record samples of RSS and VSZ taken every 10
>  > # minutes.
>

> Why measure RSS when interested in memory leaks?

Before it was pointed out to me last year that measuring RSS is
irrelevant, I had read several non-MythTV list posts that mentioned
recording it, so I did. I still haven't removed RSS logging from the
scripts because it's interesting (to me anyway) that the RSS trend
follows the VSZ trend so closely (I don't know enough about Linux
memory management to infer any meaning from that though).

After my exams I'm going to try and get valgrind running on the
machine and see if I can find anything concrete for the devs to look
at. Until then, I'll sink back into the background.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: