[mythtv-users] Absolute newbie stumped

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Wed May 20 04:33:32 UTC 2009

Thanks for everyone pitching in about their favorites.

I wasn't aware that Mythdora was a distribution . . . I thought the original Newbie poster was referring to the Fedora Myth(TV)ology how-to I used three years ago.

Honest question regarding "appliance" distros:

What do you do if something goes a bit flaky?

I have two examples of linux-fiddling I've had to do to keep my MythBox up and running.

* Early on, my two capture cards were swapping IDs. The Happague and pcHDTV cards came up tied to the wrong providers. I used some instructions I found here to change modprobe behavior. (As I recall, it's been a few years.)

* When my local Comcast office went digital, I had to manually scan and identify the channels; the built in scanner just wasn't up to the job. I installed a dvb utility package and used scripts and procedures on the MythWiki.

This may sound dumb, but do the appliance distros have a X desktop (KDE or whatever) and package managers so you can install packages?

I'm helping friends with Mythboxes, and would love to be able to make it as painless as possible.