[mythtv-users] GeForce 8400 still recommended for VDPAU?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 17 16:34:44 UTC 2009

<jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > 2009/5/17 Jacob Steenhagen <jacob at steenhagen.us>:
> > > A while back the following card was recommenced on this list as a good
> > > feature/price combo...
> >
> > the 8400gs was recommended as it was the only card that could do VC-1
> > decoding back then.
> >
> > Now all cards can do it.
> >
> > I would get a 9500GT fanless as it can do all deinterlacers even with HD.
> >
> > the 8400gs can't do any of the advanced deinterlacers on HD.
> >
> > Jean-Yves
>
> Do you really gain anything getting a high power usage and expensive video
> card over just getting a powerful CPU and letting the CPU do the decoding?
>  This 9500GT seems to have coper heat pipe cooling so it must be a power
> hog. Just asking...

Good point. Merely moving the work from the CPU to the GPU may not actually
help anything but nVidia's bottom line, but when most of the work a machine
is doing is graphically related, it might be done more efficiently by
dedicated hardware.

Using dedicated hardware usually leads to increased efficiency, but reduced
flexibility.

You have to look at the whole picture.

--
beww