[mythtv-users] Strange VDPAU error

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:35:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Lee Koloszyc <pantslessape at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2/15/2009 10:35 PM, Paulin wrote:
>
>> Well tonight something strange started happening with myth playback.
>>
>> 2009-02-15 22:25:44.397 VDPAU Error: DISPLAY PRE-EMPTED. Aborting
>> playback.
>> 2009-02-15 22:25:44.398 VDPAU Error: Error at util-vdpau.cpp:1124 (#2, The
>> display was pre-empted, or a fatal error occurred.)
>> So is this
>> 1. A problem with my configuration or build (using trunk 19992)
>> 2. A known issue with VDPAU or should I report one
>> 3. A known issue with myth VDPAU support or should I report one
>>
>> Any other thoughts.
>>
>> steve
>>
> This same thing started happening to me this weekend.  Recently I have been
> having problems starting HD shows, which could be fixed by going in multiple
> times, going to an SD show first (which always works) or sometimes I would
> have to restart X. After updating SVN this doesn't seem to happen anymore,
> but now it dies during playing with the same error that you are getting.
> Seems to be a fairly new problem.  Wonder what could be causing the
> preemption?
>
> Lee

I have had this happen on my trunk build of mythtv [20568], built it last
night.  The caps on my old NVidia 6200LE gave up the ghost recently, I was
using ffmpeg which worked very well.  Now that I purchased a 8400GS, I
wanted to check out the VDPAU.  I'm having lots of problems with it.

1) Every once in a while when I execute mythfrontend, it brings up the
theme background then crashes back to the desktop with just a "segfault"
error.  It'll crash like that twice in a row, then work.  This may not be
VDPAU since I haven't even initiated video playback at this point, but it's
really weird and it did not do this with my 6200LE.
2) I have a studder problem when the OSD is up, lots of others have had this
issue.  Apparently, it's a problem with any overlays because turning on the
closed captioning also makes the video unwatchable.  I wonder if this is a
limitation of VDPAU, or is it something that might actually work someday.  I
ask because we use closed captioning a lot.  If it'll never be as good as
ffmpeg, I'll just toss this new 8400GS and get something else that can do
it.
3) Occasionally, selecting a recording will cause the frontend to crash
reporting seemly random errors (different error description every time).

-Greg