[mythtv-users] Advice on buying DVB-C card with CI support

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Fri May 15 22:00:29 UTC 2009

Espen A Fossen wrote:
> belcampo wrote:
>> Espen A Fossen wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am looking at buying an software decoding PCI based DVB-C card for
>>> running with mythtv, and then I mean something that has "working"
>>> CI-support under linux. I have been looking a lot at
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_PCI_Cards to try to
>>> figure out what to buy, but there always seems to be an issue with
>>> either the CI-support or running under mythtv.
>>>
>>> So is there anyone running with an DVB-C card and  working CI that
>>> knows from experience that it's working more or less flawlessly under
>>> mythtv 0.21+?
>>>
>>> My best options seems to be the KNC1 TV-Station or the Satelco
>>> EasyWatch, but does anyone have experience with running these with an
>>> betacrypt 2 cam and  HDTV channels?
>> I do have two KNC1 with CI-slots lying around, I myself went to
>> satelite, with basicaly the same chipset Philips SAA7146 which works
>> perfect for almost 1.5 years now.
>>>
>>> Appreciate any advise before I start spending.
>>>
>>> Espen
> You mean they worked for 1,5 years using an CAM in the CI slot? If so i
> would consider buying one from you if your selling, or maybe just get a
> new one.
Yes, 1,5 year, that is the Satelite version which I still use and which
is the same card as the DVB-C, that I have only used for 1 or 2 months,
the only difference between the cards is the version of the tuner. Here
in the Netherlands only 1 or 2 brands of CAMs work for DVB-C. I don't
remember which they were. It's really important to know if the CAM you
need will work.