[mythtv-users] COMCAST change to digital (was Re: Charter moving around QAM channels)

JS Boyd mythtv at futures.com
Fri May 15 10:04:13 UTC 2009

Brad Fuller wrote:
> As I just mentioned in passing emails, I rcv'd Comcast's letter today
> saying that my area (SF SouthBay) will cease analog channels 2-34 on
> June 15
>
> Note on the top right of the letter is this text:
>
> "Please note that this network enhancement is not related to the
> federally-mandated Digital Broadcast Transition, which is currently
> under way and will be completed by June 12,2009"
>
> For the conversion, I decided to undergo a two-pronged approach:
> 1. Get a STB with 1394 and use that for acquiring signal and changing channels
> 2. Get a ir blaster to use with one of the free Pace DTAs to change
> the channel and connect the output o my PVR-250 (which is currently
> connected to comcast analog)
>
> Item 1 was not too hard. It took me a few days to configure, but I
> figured it out and it's recording. One interesting thing was that I
> received ALL channels on the STB (maybe a way to entice you to buy
> more). but only the Enhanced Basic channels were able to record via
> 1394.

5c encrypted channels visible over the STB will NOT record over 1394.
I've also found that the reliabilty of 1394 recordings is some what
variable. Most of the time some channels are absolutely reliable and
others not so much.

I am much happier with an HD-PVR. It is 100% reliable when the STB is
tuned over 1394/Firewire.
> Item 2 is not complete (yet). I purchased an  IR blaster from
> irblaster.info, but I haven't got it flashing at all (see recent
> threads). I don't know what to do about this. Seems others have had
> similar problems (problem = it doesn't work)

Since Comcast is providing these free, I'm tempted.... but configuring
an IR blaster to make it work does not thrill me even though my PVR500
is going to be almost useless soon.

--
==
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04