[mythtv-users] How can I map QAM channels to XMLid? (WAS: MythTV and Comcast (SF Bay Area) transition to digital)

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 00:59:24 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 5/13/09, Matt Beadon <matt.beadon at gmail.com> wrote:
>  This gives me 10 lineups that look like:
>

>   VC CARRIER PROGRAM MODNUM NAME
>    2      79       1      4  KTVU
>
> But after scanning for channels I have a few channels such
> as 2-1 and some like 79#1.  I figure that 79#1 would match
> the carrier=79 program=1 in the example above but I have no
> idea how to deal with 2-1 since my output from scte65scan
> does not list any carrier=2 program=1.

2-1 is probably PSIP data from a Hi-Def broadcast channel.  PSIP is
an entirely different table than SCTE-65.  Nevertheless, I added PSIP
scanning to my tool, which I should be releasing soon.

>  dlou99 said:
> > you can tweak the output of my program to set the
> > channel's freqid to the virtual channel from the
> map.
>

> 2a) which option is that "-f 1 -n 3" ?  I've
> been playing with this but don't think I've found an
> output option that gives freqid but I'm not sure I'd
> recognize it unless the heading was "freqid".

"-f2 -n3"

However, I think the SQL syntax is wrong, which I've also fixed in the latest version.

> > I believe
> mythfilldatabase can match channels based on freqid,
>
> > so that means you don't need to mess with xmltvid
> any more.
> 2b) that would be
> great but I still don't know which of the 10
> VCT_ID's to follow.  How do you determine what matches?

Someone sent me his 10 tables.  Turns out that on his all 10 were pretty much identical.  On mine, they're all different.  However, by looking at the callsigns I could tell which were not mine.  e.g. a VCT containing a station with callsign "Shelbyville Public Access" doesn't apply if I don't live in Shelbyville.  Also, not all stations had the same VC.  Some VCT's said channel 28 is TBS, but flipping my TV to channel 28 shows some home shopping channel.  After that culling, I was left with only a couple possible VCT's.  Looking at the differences, the remaining VCT's said that NICK was either 128.11 or 100.4.  I saw Sponge Bob when I tuned my plasma TV to 128.11, so at that time I knew which VCT_ID is mine.

-Dennis