[mythtv-users] external power supply rant (Was: Zotac ION M/B..)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 13 21:28:00 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 15:07:43 Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
wrote:
> > Andrew Burgess wrote:
> >> Plus you can plug the wrong wart in and fry things...
> >>
> >> I plugged a usb hub into 12V once and cooked it, the keyboard and the
> >> mouse. Luckily the PC was ok.
> >
> > I'd forgotten about that.
> >
> > At work we've got a BIG box of assorted power supplies that have been
> > collected over the years. Of course, a lot of them are "some unknown
> > Chinese brand you've never heard of" so you've no idea what they might
> > have been for. And if you are lucky enough that the manufacturer bothered
> > to label their equipment with the power requirement (those that don't
> > should be shot), sods law says that when you find a supply with the right
> > voltage and current rating ... the darn plug doesn't fit.
>
> Ditto. I moved house recently and my son packed u a whole lot of
> electronic/computer gear. Very nicely unplugged everything and wrapped
> the wires up nicely.
>
> Unfortunately I had two Linksys devices, a WRT-54GL router and a SLUG
> file server. Two wall warts, both labelled Linksys. Took a while to
> figure out which went with what, particularly as I couldn't get on the
> net to check voltage requirements (which were not on the devices)
> without the WRT-54.

The warts for the slugs are famous for failing BTW. You can actually power a
slug from the USB port, which proves they do not meet the USB power standard.

Any time I unpack a device that uses a wart I immediately label it so I know
what it is for.

One place I used to work also has a big box of warts, so big it took two of us
to lift it.

--
beww
beww at beww.org