[mythtv-users] external power supply rant (Was: Zotac ION M/B..)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed May 13 20:49:56 UTC 2009

Andrew Burgess wrote:

>Plus you can plug the wrong wart in and fry things...
>
>I plugged a usb hub into 12V once and cooked it, the keyboard and the
>mouse. Luckily the PC was ok.

I'd forgotten about that.

At work we've got a BIG box of assorted power supplies that have been
collected over the years. Of course, a lot of them are "some unknown
Chinese brand you've never heard of" so you've no idea what they
might have been for. And if you are lucky enough that the
manufacturer bothered to label their equipment with the power
requirement (those that don't should be shot), sods law says that
when you find a supply with the right voltage and current rating ...
the darn plug doesn't fit.

No I'm quite careful about keeping stuff together, but we've a fair
quantity of stuff where the unit has been moved, but some ********
couldn't engage a brain cell or two to keep it's power supply with it.

AC, DC centre +ve, DC centre -ve, all manner of voltges, an even
bigger variety of current ratings. Add in a large selection of
different plugs (including the manufacturer specific ones). And a
very large proportion of kit with no indication of what it want
feeding with. What could possibly go wrong :-(

--
Simon Hobson