[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray and regular DVDs

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed May 13 01:07:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Ryan Allen <ryan at the-summit.net> wrote:

>    I haven't tried this yet, but will soon.  What are other's
>    experiences with using Blu-Ray under Myth?

The copy protection schemes in bluray are a rapidly-moving target and the
linux solutions are lagging slightly.  I rip my blu-rays with Slysoft's
AnyDVD (works with windows running under a VM), use TSMuxer to extract the
main feature, and I usually convert the DTS-HD to just DTS (or AC3 if it
TrueHD) since my my SPDIF connections can't do the high capacity audio
anyway.  Then it's in a Linux workable form. Myth plays AC3-based files just
fine, but I find I get no audio with DTS (not sure why - but I'm only using
0.21-fixes with the JY's VDPAU backport), so I've turned to using mplayer -
which gets called from myth and blends in pretty seamlessly.

Then BluRays look GREAT! - especially projected from my 1080p projector onto
a huge screen..... :-)