[mythtv-users] Is anybody able to change channels on a 4250HDC STB via firewire?

Larry T larryt at gmail.com
Tue May 12 22:38:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Christian Szpilfogel <
chrisznews4 at rogers.com> wrote:

> Matt Emmott wrote:
>

>>        Has anybody found a way to change the channel on this STB? I'm
>>        open to any option. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>    Perhaps the following will help you...
>>
>>    http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-May/255029.html
>>

>> Thanks for all the help, it looks like majoridiot is the go-to guy for
>> channel changing on this box.
>>
> He was, but I see it has evolved from there. In the link I gave you (and
> follow it to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=756508) a person
> named "grytpype" modified the script to accept node number and it also fixes
> an issue with "scrambled channel digits" that is in the current contrib.
> Grytpype's version works well for me.
>
>> I downloaded and compiled his script, however I'm still running into the
>> same issue as stated above - it shows 2 devices on my firewire bus and I
>> don't know which is the STB:
>>
>> /sa4250_ch -v
>> node 0: vendor_id = 0x00001106 model_id = 0x00000000
>> node 1: vendor_id = 0x000022ce model_id = 0x000010cc
>> Could not find SA42XXHD on the 1394 bus!
>>
> The one on node 1 looks close. I've seen model 10cc before but with a
> different vendor_id. You will need to change the corresponding vendor_id and
> model_id's in the code to get this to match.
>
> What does "plugreport" show you?
>
> Personally, I don't bother with the device checks any more because I am
> using the GUID and converting it to a node number.

I have never had any success controlling my 4250hdc (provided by BHN) until
I saw the email from Christian Szpilfogel linked above. That one can at
least get on/off/status. I have never had any luck changing the channels. I
can capture video though.

If I could change channels, I could actually use firewire as a source.