[mythtv-users] Record both HD and SD versions of shows

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:40:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Nick Nobody <me at nikosapi.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have both HD and non-HD capable frontends; would it be possible to make
> MythTV record both versions of a show? Right now I've got to stick with the
> lowest common denominator which is SD, but it would be nice if I could get
> both. The other thing I thought of would be to transcode the HD versions to
> lower quality formats but I'd rather not as I have enough hardware to be able
> to record both SD and HD at the same time...

Back when I was have reception problems with my old antenna, I was
recording both SD and HD recordings of a lot of shows.
I'd go through the upcoming recordings menu, find a show that was
going to be recorded in HD, open the recordings details and go to the
upcoming episodes for that show, then I'd select the SD version of the
show and tell it to "Record this specific showing" then I'd do that
for any future episodes as well, then I'd tell it to "Record this
specific showing" on the HD versions.
This would record both, it's a little tedious, but it works.