[mythtv-users] Initial foray into Mythtv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 11 13:23:09 UTC 2009

On Monday 11 May 2009 06:53:31 Matthew Keefe wrote:
> So it seems I did understand it mostly correct.  As far as frontends
> go, I'm hoping that they manage to cobble together a PS3 solution.
> Less hardware to buy.  Sony's hypervisor may make that more than just
> a little troublesome though.

My PS3 pulls 205 watts at idle, so it's not a candidate for 24/7 operation, or
even just being on when watching TV.

The trend these days seems to be towards more "green" solutions, which the PS3
definitely is not.

I guess it depends somewhat on the cost of power where you live, but something
that draws more than my quad-opteron server is not "progress" towards helping
the planet, or my power bill.

There is no access to accelerated video from Linux on the PS3, and I don't
expect that to change. There is some work on using the subsidiary cores to
help decode video, but a 200-watt plus box is certainly bucking the present
trends.

I bought the PS3 years ago, when Yellowdog for the PS3 first came out. It was
the cheapest way to get Blu-Ray playback, and I got a Linux-capable machine
in the bargain.

--
beww
beww at beww.org