[mythtv-users] Initial foray into Mythtv

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon May 11 10:26:07 UTC 2009

Matthew Keefe wrote:

>> You might consider $60 to get a 3G CPU for you existing system.
>>

> My motherboard is socket 423, that tops out at 2.0G I think?  I could be
> wrong.  If so, an easy upgrade is definitely appealing.  I've seen adapters
> that allow the use of socket 478 chips, but the adapter is costly and
> degrades the performance (I would think).  Better to get a new CPU/mother.
> But there we run into the spiral of how much $ to put into a new hobby :)

Don't disregard the possibility of a m/b+processor upgrade. You can often find
bundles of not-quite bleeding edge kit for far cheaper than you can put
something together yourself. If you're just experimenting (you're running
Mythtv; of course you're experimenting!) then look out for a bundle, you may be
surprised at what you can find.

--

Mike Perkins