[mythtv-users] Initial foray into Mythtv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 10 19:56:35 UTC 2009

On Sunday 10 May 2009 12:29:51 Matthew Keefe wrote:

> I have a 400GB Seagate coming in the mail.  Part of the SSD thing was to
> free up the drive I'm using now for storage as well.

> Putting the OS on the SSD would separate the database yes?  I'm assure you,
> as of this moment I know this | | much about MySQL databases :)  Really all
> I was planning to use the SSD for is to house the OS stuff so that recorded
> tv and other media could be stored separately.

I'm just not sure about the SSDs, other than a MIPS-based Netbook I don't own
any of them. I'm just not sure about them for use with the OS and MySQL on a
Myth system.

One way to try them out cheaply is with a CompactFlash card and a CF-to-SATA
adapter.

Anybody have experience with Myth and SSDs?

> You are correct about the size limitations on RDRAM.  I could maybe move up
> to 1gig without giving my wallet a major infarct, but beyond that it
> becomes a little silly to consider as I feel like I will be replacing the
> hardware a year-ish down the road...maybe sooner depending on various
> variables.  What I don't know is whether such an upgrade will affect
> performance in a way to make it worthwhile.

Depends, I use 1GB for a combined FE/BE and almost never touch swap, mostly
when I archive to DVD.

Although they don't sell over the web, there is a local place that sells RDRAM
a lot more cheaply than most internet sources. You might try giving them a
call, I think they will ship, if you're in North America.

Tatooine Electronics
Cheyenne, Wyoming
(307)-632-0054

This is used stuff, but I've had good luck buying things from them. OTOH I can
return things for $1 worth of fuel :-)

--
beww
beww at beww.org