[mythtv-users] Initial foray into Mythtv

Matthew Keefe learningtehlinux at gmail.com
Sun May 10 19:30:27 UTC 2009

>> Capturing already digitized material requires little CPU, just disk I/O.
>> The
>> hardware you describe should be able to play back SD, but probably NOT HD.
>> You might even need XvMC for SD playback, a 1.8 Ghz. single-core CPU is
>> pretty slow by modern standards.

I've been reading up on this more (as I should have before buying the new
card :/ ) and it looks like VDPAU is well liked?  AGP, as I understand it,
doesn't work with VDPAU, but it looks like BFG makes a PCI card that is
compliant, the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB PCI.  Do you guys think this
would be a better choice on this particular system vis-a-vis playing HD or
at least SD without hiccups?

--