[mythtv-users] Initial foray into Mythtv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 10 18:15:21 UTC 2009

On Sunday 10 May 2009 11:45:01 Matthew Keefe wrote:

> I hope to capture mostly SD content I believe, though the ability to
> capture HD would not be frowned upon :)

Capturing already digitized material requires little CPU, just disk I/O. The
hardware you describe should be able to play back SD, but probably NOT HD.
You might even need XvMC for SD playback, a 1.8 Ghz. single-core CPU is
pretty slow by modern standards.

So that hardware would certainly work as a B/E, probably not as a F/E if you
want to watch HD. I don't think you can get a VDPAU-capable graphics card
with an AGP interface.

The pre-built distros are nice to get started with. Even if you plan to
compile yourself eventually, it gets you familiar with how a Myth system
works, how to set it up etc. As to which one to use, you probably want one
that's based on whatever Linux distro you are already famliar with (MythDora
is FC-based, Mythbuntu is, obviously, Ubuntu-based).

You will need some significant capacity to store recordings, an SSD with
sufficient capacity would be prohibitively expensive, and the SSDs are not
faster than regular HDDs. You do want to try and have your MySQL database on
a separate spindle from your recordings.

The Rambus RAM is certainly expensive, you may eventually want to replace the
hardware, but it will certainly work as a backend, if you don't need really
fast transcodes or commflagging. The real question with a B/E is disk IO
capability. You can, of course, go with RAID0 to increase disk performance.

RDRAM also runs hot and draws a lot of current, and I think you are limited to
256 or 512 sticks, nothing bigger.

Have fun.

--
beww