[mythtv-users] Volume problems watching live-tv (ac3 vs. stereo)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 9 20:05:13 UTC 2009

On 05/09/2009 03:35 PM, Stefan Reichel wrote:
> i have a little problem watching live tv. I use dvb-c, normally tv-shows
> and commercials are transmitted with stereo sound, nevertheless some
> movies will be broadcasted with AC3. In result when watching a movie
> with ac3 sound volume is low, when the commercial begins, it gets stereo
> and the sound volume raises dramatically.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of these volume problems?

Get 5.1 speakers?

>  Can i somehow
> disable ac3 and convert it to stereo?

If you're already doing 2-channel output (i.e. no AC-3/DTS passthrough
and you have the "Max Audio Channels" setting*** set to "Stereo"--not
"5.1"), it's already being done for you.

If it /really/ concerns you, you can put a local hack in your own build
of Myth similar to http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/15526 , but note
that it will /not/ be applied to "upstream" as current ffmpeg levels are
appropriate.

Mike

***In frontend settings under the main General settings section just
after the database settings on a page called, "Audio."