[mythtv-users] VDPAU, Trunk, and the Vanishing EPG

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Sat May 9 05:03:03 UTC 2009

First off, I apologize if this isn't the place to talk about the
development branch. If I should head elsewhere, fee free to give me a
shove.

Anyway, in an attempt to get the HD-PVR and VDPAU under the same
umbrella, I grabbed 0.22 (trunk) from SVN and am now running r20509.
It's working great! I get live TV through the HDPVR and it is very
stable so far. I only have one problem. When using the VDPAU renderer,
the EPG is practically invisible. I press "s" and the EPG comes up,
but only the text in the upper right corner is visible. If I use the
arrow keys to navigate, portions of the menu become visible for only a
split second. The EPG basically flickers when navigated. It is,
however, unusable. The main video window continues to play
uninterrupted. It is possible to use the EPG to select other channels,
it's just nearly impossible to actually see it.

I believe this is fixable because I have been fiddling with settings
all evening and have gotten it to work once or twice, but then it goes
back to the previous buggy behavior. I have tried with composite
extension on and off, and with 180.xx drivers and 185.18.08. Neither
seem to make a difference. I have seen mention of using
VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1, and have run the frontend with this line:

VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 mythfrontend

But it doesn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone have any
suggestions? This is, I think, my last "gotcha." Thanks!