[mythtv-users] Several Minute "Please Wait" delay

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri May 8 16:42:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:56 -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I'm running the trunk. A few of my recordings have a long delay at the
> start of playback. In the recent trunks this is the period where the
> "Please Wait" screen appears. This takes several minutes, and then the
> playback starts with no problem.
>
> This only occurs when the front and back end are on the same machine, or
> on any machine if I use "mythtv" to read the mpg file directly. I can
> tell from strace that the player is reading the entire mpg file before
> starting playback.

This is a bug in trunk. Not quite sure what causes it.

Is it reading the entire mpg, or just a large part of the first 180 MB?
(One suspect is the MPEG-TS parser, which is limited to reading at most
180 MB worst case, but that is of course a very large bit of the file.)

I've only studied this with one mildly corrupted ATSC recording, I've
not seen it with any PVR-150 recordings.

-- Daniel