[mythtv-users] MythTV + uPnP + PS3 = no joy

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri May 8 13:53:04 UTC 2009

On Thursday 07 May 2009 22:26:38 sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:

> (I'm probably gonna get flamed here but....)
> What about loading a linux distro onto the PS3 and installing Myth on to
> the linux distro.. that way you can still use the Ps3 hardware?

I have Liinux (YellowDog) loaded on my PS3.

One problem is that Linux does not have access to the accelerated video
hardware, you can only get frame buffer performance.

I was able to play the HD version of Elephant's Dream with mplayer, but the
CPU was really being taxed, and the unit was pulling well over 200 watts
(according to a Kill-a-Watt).

As was mentioned, there is a project to try and improve video performance
under Linux on the PS3, but it's not really usable yet.

Transcoding the Myth files to something the PS3 can deal with is probably the
answer for now. It can play my PVR-recorded SD files,

The PS3 is not the best solution for a secondary Myth F/E, but if you already
have one on your network it can be of limited use. I certainly would not buy
one for this purpose, there are much better solutions. It used to be the
cheapest solution for playing Blu-Ray disks, I'm not sure if this is still
true.

--
beww
beww at beww.org