[mythtv-users] MythTV + uPnP + PS3 = no joy

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 8 04:43:46 UTC 2009

> (I'm probably gonna get flamed here but....)
> What about loading a linux distro onto the PS3 and installing Myth on to the
> linux distro.. that way you can still use the Ps3 hardware?
(And the rant begins...)
While the PS3 has a massive amount of floating point performance through
the SPEs, the libraries MythTV uses will all run on the single PPC
core.  While it runs at 3.2GHz, it is a stripped down, in-order Power
chip.  I don't even know if it has enough power to do HD MPEG2.

There does exist a project (spumedia) that intends to offload video
decoding to the SPEs, however their is a distinct lack of information
about it.  As far as I can tell, they have support for video scalers,
colorspace conversion, and iDCT offload to be done on the SPEs.  That
puts it between Xv and XvMC in terms of capability.