[mythtv-users] Grub won't load my menu.lst file

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu May 7 21:36:21 UTC 2009

On Thu May 07, 2009 at 09:44:15AM -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:

> I replaced my backend machine's boot disk with a larger drive, and now
> grub refuses to automatically load linux at boot time.  Instead, it
> gives me the grub command line, and I can type "configfile
> /grub/menu.lst" and everything boots fine from there.  The original
> drive gives me the MythDora 5 splash screen and autoboots after 5
> seconds.  Any ideas?

<-SNIP->
>  Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2
> /boot/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
> Done.
>
> Any suggestions?

The snippet above shows that grub is looking for /boot/grub/grub.conf as
the default menu file.  This is relative to the boot partition (this
looks to be separate from your root partition), so you'll need:
    A symlink pointing /boot/boot to /boot itself (ln -snf /boot/boot .)
    The menu file as /boot/grub/grub.conf

For compatibility, you'll probably also want a symlink pointing
/boot/grub/menu.lst to /boot/grub/grub.conf

HTH,
    Robin
--
     ___