[mythtv-users] mythtv + nfs = bad?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu May 7 13:43:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> What version of NFS?
>
> I think NFS v.2 (client side) has a 2GB file size limit, which means it can
> only look at the first 2GB of a file that's larger than 2GB.
>
> Version 3 supports larger files, but obviously it depends on the filesystem
> on
> the server side, if it were FAT, for example, a 4.7GB file would be a
> problem.
>
> There is also a limit on the size of a transfer "on the wire", which
> depends
> on whether TCP or UDP is used, and the particular implementation.
>
> Large files and NFS can be problematical, make sure you understand any
> limits
> of your server and client NFS versions, as well as the filesystem in use.
>
> Google "nfs file size limits" for more information.

Brian,

Thanks for the response.  What was strange about my setup was that it was
working just fine for a long time.  Then all of the sudden, one day, it
stopped working.  I don't know if it happened during a kernel update or
what.  I know I'm running NFSv2.  I don't know how to update myself to v3 or
above.

Jim