[mythtv-users] DVD Catalogue ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu May 7 00:55:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 08:09:51PM -0400, Scott wrote:

> On May 5, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Paul <paul at paulhurley.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Not to sound sarcastic, but why wouldn't you just rip them to a hard
>>> drive..then who cares where they are?  Problem solved?
>>
>> Thats what I was suggesting in 5. of my email.
>>
>> The one reason I can think of is the storage required.
>>
>> * (conservative) average of, say, 5G per DVD.
>> * if OP has so many he doesn't know where he has stored each one,
>> maybe he has 200 of the things.
>> * Thats a TB of storage, which isn't overly expensive these days, but
>> it is if you haven't got room for it in your backend.
>
> I'm storing full PURCHASED DVDs on the HDD. It's not hard. AnyDVD
> running in wine does the job just fine. Files are stored to the NFS
> mount where mythvideo keeps the movies. Beyond that, it's just a matter
> of having mythvideo update it's index.

    Something else to consider is that you can compress all of that. Most
movies will not lose anything from shrinking the file down 1/4th using
mencoder or handbrake and h264 transcoding.

    You don't don't have to transcode the audio. You can keep it basically
"pristine". You don't gain so much from compressing it anyways. If you don't
have any interest in subtitles or alternate language tracks or closed captions
then transcoding probably doesn't present a downside. It just involves time
when you're bringing stuff into mythvideo.