[mythtv-users] Nvidia and DVI -- never mind,- got it working

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Mon May 4 22:56:45 UTC 2009

> From clemens at dwf.com on May-04-09 2:37 PM:
> > Thanks to all, I got it working.
> > BEAUTIFUL picture.
> >
> > Now I have to dig thru my boxes in the garage and find a couple
> > of 6ft Audio cables (either that or take up reading lips...)
>
> Just a note of warning, as it appears you have a Sony Bravia.
>
> If you connect an nVidia video card using any of the recent drivers to the
> tv using an HDMI input, you won't be able to use the analog audio inputs
> associated with that input. The nVidia driver reads the EDID of the TV and
> recognizes that the TV is capable of receiving audio over HDMI and sends an
> audio signal. If there is no SPDIF audio connected to your video card (or
> you are using an older card that doesn't have an SPDIF input connector like
> my 7300) then the driver will send a 'null' audio signal. Basically it is
> fake audio data with zero volume level. The TV sees this as a valid digital
> audio signal and favours it over the audio inputs, effectively disabling
> them.
>
> To get the analog audio ports to work, you will need to tell X to use a
> custom EDID file rather than read the one from the TV. Instructions for
> creating the custom EDID file can be found at http://analogbit.com/node/23
> along with instructions for implementing it. I'm not sure what TV you
> actually have, but I've got a modified EDID file for a Sony 52XBR6 that
> works great for me. You are welcome to it, if you want.

I will look at the reference you gave to see how to set this up, but the
52XBR6 is the same model that I have, so if you can send along the file
you created I would appreciate it.

I am actually going thru a Yamaha 863, and I had assumed that I still
had something to setup,- so your heads-up will have saved me a lot
of experimentation.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com